I recently went to the DollarTree, and had purchased a few things prepping for Valentine’s Day, and I spotted these coasters. Located at the end cap of the kitchen placemats and cleaning supplies, sat these naturally absorbed coasters with different patterns. I grabbed one to check out the quality of them, and caught by surprise, they were a full on heavy set tile with a cork backing. I instantly took four for a complete set, knowing I could do something with these babies, just using some Mod Podge, and decorative paper.
Here a craft any casual crafter and especially a DollarTree shopper can enjoy!!
What You’ll Need:
- Coasters (DollarTree/ WalMart $1 each.)
Make sure the coasters have a cork backing, to avoid slipping.
- Mod Podge
- Sponge Brush
- Decorative Paper
- Matte Finish Spay
- Start by selecting a nice decorative sheet of paper. You can get scrapbook paper, sold by the sheet at your local craft store sold for ($0.50-$1pc) or you can use gift wrap paper. I used this high quality gift wrap that came in this booklet my husband got me.
This book has excellent quality paper, with tons of different designs that other stores may not have. Definietly one of a kind paper! You can purchase this Gifts & Creative Papers booklet HERE.
- Cut out the same size square piece of the coaster to the decorative sheet.
- Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the surface of the coaster with the sponge brush, then apply the cut out paper to the coaster.
- Press firmly on the surface to remove all air bubbles. You can use a credit card or any hard plastic edged item to do this.
- Once air bubbles are removed, apply another light coat of Mod Podge.
- Set to dry. (5-10minutes)
- Lastly, add your Matte Finishing spray to seal the top of your coaster, to protect from water damage, and other everyday usage.
Once the finishing spray is completely dry, enjoy your new coasters!! Sip on a cocktail or beer while entertaining, or just a simple glass of water! Your visitors, guests, would never know these were from the DollarTree!!!!! Create fun festive holiday ones, using gift wrapping paper, or your specially selected scrapbook paper print!!! These coasters can be also great gift ideas!! I think I may be going back to the DollarTree to purchase a couple more this week! Arn’t they darling?!
Stay tuned for next upcoming posts. I’ve noticed I’ve been obsessing about yellow lately!! Home decorating posts on your way!!!
Thanks for stopping by!
Happy 3 day weekend everyone!! And happy crafting!